Learning To Embrace Fatherhood

07.28.14
Learning To Embrace Fatherhood
The first five months of my girlfriend’s pregnancy I flaked on all her doctor's appointments. I was afraid of accepting the role of a parent, until I turned my fears into fuel. Recently I was told to attend a fatherhood class. At first I was reluctant to participate because I still couldn’t believe I was going to be a father. I was worried about making financial sacrifices for someone else, because I had been used to providing for myself since my mom moved away when I was 15. I was forced to buy my own deodorant and clothes. But being surrounded by the constant advice and coaching in the fatherhood class, made me want to accept my new duties. I’m no longer afraid. Now, I can’t wait to be my son’s provider -- even if it means less time at the mall for me -- so my son won't have to go through what I did. I’m really proud of my ability to embrace my fears, because now, I can grow into my new life, and become a great father.