Backlash Over LGBTQ+ Teacher Training

08.25.22
Backlash Over LGBTQ+ Teacher Training

Two protest groups clashed outside a Hampton, New Hampshire high school over a teacher training aiming to address the concerns of LGBTQ+ students.

In front of Winnacunnet High School, one group of protestors held signs like “Stop the grooming,” “Let kids be kids,” and “Education not indoctrination,” in opposition of a training scheduled for the school’s teachers on Sept. 13, according to Yahoo News

The training, which will be conducted by Seacoast Outright, a nonprofit that aims to provide resources related to LGBTQ+ issues, will speak on how teachers can respond to LGBTQ+ students in crisis about their gender identity. Those who oppose the training are quoted as saying they are concerned about teachers getting too involved in family decisions over whether a student should undergo gender-confirming surgery. 

“Are they going to recommend puberty blockers to students? You just don’t know,” said Anna Marie Banfield, one of the protestors. 

Across the parking lot, counter protestors told the outlet the training was important for the sake of supporting LGBTQ+ students.

“There are a lot of gay people in our community, and that segment of the population, regardless of what you have going on in life, is so tricky in middle school land, high school and even younger,” said Amy Hansen, Hampton Selectwoman, who has worked for years in Hampton schools. “I think it’s an amazing opportunity for the teachers to just have the knowledge.”

SAU 21 Superintendent Meridith Nadeau said the training is expected to move forward. She said she heard concerns about Seacoast Outright being a political group and that the training will include medical direction, claims she denied. 

“This training is about affirming and supporting all children in our schools,” she said.