L.A. Students Vocalize Disdain for Cellphone Ban

The ban was voted to be implemented in January 2025.

07.16.24
L.A. Students Vocalize Disdain for Cellphone Ban (Getty Images)

The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) recently voted to ban cell phones during the school day, citing concerns about distractions and students’ mental health. However, high school students across the county are unhappy with the decision, according to Los Angeles Magazine.

“Either a student is going to want to learn or they’re not, and that’s their choice,” said Milena Tarverdyan, a student from Burbank’s district. “I don’t think a phone is going to interfere with that.”

LAUSD is not the first district to implement such a ban, but it is the largest in the nation. Other schools across the U.S. are also debating the pros and cons of allowing phones on campus. Last July, Florida passed a law requiring all public schools to ban cell phone use during class and block social media on district Wi-Fi. Orange County public schools, just south of L.A., already prohibit phone use throughout the entire school day, including lunchtime and passing periods.

Some L.A. students feel the ban is overly restrictive, despite similar policies being popular elsewhere. High school students in a summer journalism program at USC argue that the board did not consider students’ interests and that the ban is not the solution to distracted teens.

Adrian Ramirez, a student at Francisco Bravo Senior High Medical Magnet in Boyle Heights, called the ban a “power play.” He was unaware of the ban until it had already passed, despite his mother working for LAUSD.

“On a student level, it feels like a very unilateral decision,” Ramirez said. “We had no say in it whatsoever. Obviously, because we’re the ‘problem,’ they wouldn’t ask us our opinion on it, but that feels wrong because you’re taking away our property.”

On the same day the LAUSD resolution passed, Governor Gavin Newsom pledged to restrict smartphone use in schools statewide, citing concerns for children’s mental health. He referenced legislation he signed in 2019 that encouraged schools to limit students’ phone usage.

“Kids no longer have the opportunity to just be kids,” said LAUSD Board Member Nick Melvoin, who authored the resolution. “I hope this resolution helps students focus in class and interact more with each other.”

The ban will take effect in January 2025, and the resolution calls for the district to update its smartphone and social media policies within 120 days.

In a 2022 study, 61% of nearly 11,000 parents surveyed supported banning cell phones from classrooms. However, some parents and others worry about children’s safety without phones for emergencies or to record abuse.

“One of my teachers in high school was arrested for molesting students. If there were cameras to record the evidence, it would have been stopped sooner,” one user commented on social media. “Kids need to focus on learning, but they should also be able to protect themselves from predators and bullies.”

L.A. students also expressed concerns about their safety without phones. Several mentioned using their phones during school for emergency communication with their parents.

“There were three lockdowns last year, including one with someone on campus with a gun,” said Lizzie Vargas, a student at Downtown Magnets High School. “Not having your phone in those situations is scary.”

The board did not provide specific details on how the ban will be enforced. Some students doubt the feasibility of a phone-free campus.

“There’s no real way to enforce it,” said William Kim, a student at Larchmont Charter School. “How would you just ban phones? It seems impossible.”

Despite student pushback, Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho emphasized the need to address the impact of phones and social media on students.

“It’s time to develop a legal strategy, including potential litigation against social media companies, whose algorithms create unhealthy addictions with harmful consequences for our youth,” Carvalho said. “Phones, coupled with social media, are harmful to young people.”

L.A. students suggested alternatives to a total phone ban. One proposed digital literacy classes. Maya Wong, a student at North High School in the Torrance district, recommended appointing student representatives to the school board. Vargas argued that the district should focus on larger issues, noting that her teachers had to choose between cleaning classrooms or keeping the bathrooms open.

“LAUSD lacks student representation,” said student Isabella Rascon. “When it comes to the cell phone issue, just ask us, and we’ll give you our input.”

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Corona, CA who covers culture and entertainment.