Developing True Appreciation for Valentine’s Day

02.14.24
Developing True Appreciation for Valentine’s Day (Getty Images)

AtlantaSome may think Valentine's Day is the day for hopeless romantics; the most amazing day for those who want to celebrate and showcase their person to the world. But for some, finding the specialness in the day —  love and appreciation from a romantic partner — takes some time. 

It wasn't until two years ago that Kemya Fox, 21, had the best Valentine's Day. She said before that, the day was just ordinary. 

“My girlfriend at the time made me feel like I was the only girl in the world. She learned how to make my vision of being a hopeless romantic into a reality,” she said. 

Fox said her girlfriend gave her a large bouquet of her favorite flowers, a mix of yellow and orange roses. But the best part was when her girlfriend cooked her favorite meal of roasted duck and Pad Thai. 

“I’ve seen videos of ladies getting the experience with flowers laid on the floor across their home, when I received that I felt that the world paused,” Fox said. 

Jacqueline Anderson, 23, had the same experience. Until she got older and matured, she felt the adoration she had been missing. 

“I never had a ‘typical’ Valentine aside from my parents, so I never was excited, rather I was single or in a relationship,” Anderson said. 

But that all changed when she noticed how observant her girlfriend was. Anderson said her girlfriend listened to what she said. They were able to go to restaurants she longed to try and other activities. 

“That was a different feeling of reciprocation I’ve never experienced. As our first Valentine's Day came around, I believe I finally felt the love that I was missing,” she said.

Noticing the little things rather than mentioning them or acting on the action, shows your partner that you care. Valentine’s Day is centered around the quality and thoughtfulness that you have for your partner. Shower them with the love and appreciation that you showed in the beginning. 

Miracle Trice, (she/her) is from Portland but is an Atlanta-based journalist who covers all aspects of entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @miracletb_ .