Investigation Favors Chicago Police About Activist’s Knocked-Out Tooth

06.29.21
Investigation Favors Chicago Police About Activist’s Knocked-Out Tooth (Photo: Miracle Boyd/GoodKids MadCity)

ChicagoThe agency that investigates allegations against the Chicago Police Department said the police didn’t knock out the tooth of an 18-year-old activist last year, her cellphone was the culprit.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability said, “This incident occurred after Miracle Boyd attended a protest near the Christopher Columbus Statue and observed several Chicago Police officers taking another protester into custody. As Ms. [Miracle] Boyd began recording the incident on her cell phone, an officer and his partner approached her and blocked her path. The officer then extended his left arm and struck Ms. Boyd’s cell phone from her hand, causing the phone to hit her face which resulted in several injuries.”

The July 17, 2020 incident happened a week after tense moments between the police and demonstrators, and after the statues were removed at the request of Mayor Lori Lightfoot.

Boyd and other demonstrators said her injury was another case of police brutality and immediately called for the officer to be fired.