The Most Intimidating Thing About Dating My Mom? Me.

by Charlie Stuip
Also Featured on KCBS

by Charlie Stuip
Also Featured on KCBS
01.14.18
Photo Courtesy of Charlie Stuip
01.14.18

My mom’s a single lady, but when things get serious, her boyfriend’s gotta meet me.

When I was little, my mom remarried for a time. You’d think that’d be a big deal, but honestly, I barely remember the guy. I can’t remember much beyond his face and his delicious protein shakes. Coming from a divorced family, I am used to transience, and that people come in and out of our lives.  But my mom and I are a pair that can’t be separated.

It got me thinking, do my mom’s exes ever think about me? I may be the closest most of them have ever had to a daughter. My dad’s in my life, so I have a father figure. The role these men play in my life is more ambiguous. They’re friends at best, wannabe patriarchs at worst.

My mom and I are an impenetrable unit. Her boyfriends have always been peripheral. I imagine our relationship is intimidating, maybe even threatening. As much as they can try and become part of our family, it’s always a futile mission. They foot the bill sometimes, but no one can make my mom laugh like I can.

Support Young Journalists and Artists
Support Young Journalists and Artists