Naomi Osaka Pledges Funds for Haiti Earthquake Relief

08.24.21
Naomi Osaka Pledges Funds for Haiti Earthquake Relief (Photo: Richard Pierrin/Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILTennis champion Naomi Osaka lends a hand to the citizens of Haiti after the country endured a devastating 7.2-magnitude earthquake Aug.14 that has killed over 1,900 people.

Osaka, whose father is Haitian, promised to donate any prize money won from her upcoming matches at the Western & Southern Open to help aid in relief efforts for the country.

“Really hurts to see all the devastation that’s going on in Haiti, and I feel like we really can’t catch a break,” she wrote in a tweet. “I’m about to play a tournament this week and I’ll give all the prize money to relief efforts for Haiti. I know our ancestors blood is strong. We’ll keep rising.”

Haiti is still recovering from the 7.0 earthquake that wrecked the country in 2010, killing over 300,000 people and destroying much of its infrastructure.