Content in partnership with Washington Square News

NYU Bias Hotline Ensnared In War On ‘Wokeness’

Former NYU student Rikki Schlott, a New York Post columnist, criticized NYU’s bias response line for hindering free speech. NYU and its students are confused as to why.

09.09.22
NYU Bias Hotline Ensnared In War On ‘Wokeness’ (Victoria Liu via Washington Square News)

New York City, NYby Connor Patton and Max Colony

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

During her appearance on the HBO talk show “Real Time” last month, former NYU student Rikki Schlott conversed with host Bill Maher about the political leanings of her generation and the importance of free speech. Schlott then brought up an anecdote from her time at NYU: the Bias Response Line, a phone number where students can report cases of discrimination and harassment on campus. 

“It’s a hotline in case you’re offended and your feelings are poked and prodded,” Schlott, who describes herself as “politically homeless,” told Maher on the show.

In a later article for the New York Post, where she is a columnist, the libertarian commentator denounced the hotline, characterizing it as antithetical to free speech. She accused NYU of promoting a “witch hunt culture” by continuing to use the phone number.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.