Content in partnership with Washington Square News

WSN Survey: Over Half of Students Don’t Know About Student Government

Seventy-three percent of surveyed NYU students said they do not consider themselves familiar with the Student Government Assembly.

10.05.23
WSN Survey: Over Half of Students Don’t Know About Student Government (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Dharma Niles, Sidney Snider, and Zoe Alford

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

Approximately 73% of NYU students do not consider themselves familiar with the university’s student government, according to a WSN survey. 

Out of 360 students surveyed inside the Kimmel Center for University Life, the Paulson Center and Bobst Library, only around 27% said they knew what the Student Government Assembly was. Most students were also unaware of the student government’s involvement in specific initiatives, such as the Swipe it Forward program.

“I know how the College of Arts & Science Student Council works, I know that SGA has senators at large, and I know some of the positions that they hold,” CAS senior Max Ye said. “But that’s mostly it.” 

The SGA is the representative body for students at NYU, which proposes resolutions for changes to campus and supports student programming and initiatives. The student government also has 39 seats in the University Senate, a body comprising administrators, faculty and students that decides on NYU policies, such as those relating to academic programs and budgeting. This allows the SGA to interact with senior administrators and represent students in bigger university decisions.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.