Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Opinion: Dear NYU, Upperclassmen Are Students Too

Just because we’re no longer first-years, doesn’t mean we don’t deserve support as the semester begins.

09.04.23
Opinion: Dear NYU, Upperclassmen Are Students Too (Natalia Kempthorne-Curiel via Washington Square News)

New York City, NYby Molly Koch

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

As a peer mentor for a pre-orientation program, I had the privilege of moving in two weeks prior to regular move-in for upperclassmen students. I was so excited to be back on campus again, but I couldn’t help noticing how different those first few days as a sophomore were from my first-year move-in experience.

As I reminisced about all the outings I went on and friendships I made a year ago, I began to realize that some of the resources and privileges I became used to are suddenly gone. From first-years getting to go on cruises offered by the University at a low cost, to having the chance to attend a plethora of events hosted by RAs, it’s clear to see that the university prioritizes certain students over others.

There is no denying that as a first-year, you need extra care and support. NYU Welcome is a necessary part of acclimating first-years to the unfamiliar, and often intimidating, elements of NYU life. This focus on first-year experiences should not, however, lessen the university’s ability to dedicate time and resources to upperclassmen. NYU Welcome is built on a foundation of making students feel comfortable at the school, yet when they return to campus as upperclassmen they are suddenly, and often unexpectedly, left to fend for themselves. 

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.