With No Virtual Classes, NYU Students Speak on the Flood

The high standing water made it difficult to navigate through the city.

10.03.23
With No Virtual Classes, NYU Students Speak on the Flood (Michael M. Santiago via Getty Images)

NashvilleEverything happens in New York. First, it was smoke from Canada this summer and then Tropical Storm Ophelia created flash floods in the streets.

Gov. Kathy Hochul declared a State of Emergency in New York City, Long Island, and the Hudson Valley because of the impacts of the precipitation. Some NYU students had trouble getting to class. But it’s not 2021 anymore. Zoom is no longer an option.

Joshua Stern, a junior at NYU Steinhart from Manhattan, said the water from the tropical storm made starting his day interesting. The Union Square subway station, which he often uses, caught fire during the heavy rain. But there were also other issues.

“They had to shut down the elevators in my dorm building,” Stern said. He was unable to leave the building due to the flood. 

Stern said “I was kind of stuck,” but he was grateful for the building infrastructure being okay during the floods. 

Melanie Andrade, a junior at NYU Tandon from the Bronx, shared how being on the NYU campus in Brooklyn impacted her time during the flood. Her commute to and from Tandon without problems is three hours a day. 

As Andrade walked to school, she saw how Boerum Place and the sidewalk near Borough Hall were covered with water. She didn’t realize how much the flood impacted NYC until she received a text from her mom about specific stations being flooded. Because she is a commuter, she had to get back to the Bronx. Other commuters also worried about getting back and called family and friends to help them arrange their plans. 

“The train I usually take to get home had suspended service in Brooklyn and others I’d take had the station flooded. Luckily, I was able to find a train to get me to Manhattan to transfer to a train that would take me home,” Andrade said. 

On the train, Andrade saw how afraid many of the passengers were of any rowdy individuals. She was worried about everyone on the train being kicked off due to medical emergencies. 

Andrade said many professors were late to class, but most didn’t have options for virtual classes. Some of her friends chose to stay home, and all of the clubs were canceled following the mayor’s announcement. 

Ilana Drake is a journalist from New York City and attends school in Nashville. Follow her on Twitter: @IlanaDrake_.

Edited by Nykeya Woods.