Old-School Skills Gen Z Should Embrace

There might be a few old-school skills that modern generations could benefit from.

03.23.23
Old-School Skills Gen Z Should Embrace (Getty Images)

ChicagoWith society-wide tech advancements come change and shifting of skill sets. What once was imperative to survive in society 20 years ago might not be necessary today. But according to Yahoo News, there might be a few old-school skills that modern generations could benefit from.

Reading a map

It’s no surprise that Google Maps and Waze often fail travelers and neither is the fact that phones die and internet access can become inaccessible. Even so, some research suggests that today’s young people are overliant on these things to get them where they’re going. 

In a survey commissioned by British company Ordnance Survey, researchers found that 60% of millenial respondents say they rely on digital maps when going somewhere new and a quarter are “very reliant” on them in their day-to-day lives. 

For emergencies, it might be worthwhile to learn how to read a physical map just in case Siri is giving you a hard time. 

Writing in cursive

Generally, it’s up to individual states to decide if it wants cursive to be part of its curriculum. Many have decided to do so and some research suggests that has its benefits, according to Yahoo News.

Cursive writing helps diagnose spatial and graphic learning problems while freeing up cognitive abilities so the student can focus on other things. It also helps students develop motor skills and learn languages.

Finding dates in person 

A study by the Pew Research Group reported that 48% of people aged 18 to 29 said they had used a dating app to find someone, with the percentage decreasing in older age groups. 

A 2019 Stanford study reported that a large portion of heterosexual couples have found their person on an app. 

Balancing a checkbook

Online purchases and bill payments have led to a decline of writing checks and balancing checkbooks. However, Yahoo News reports that the latter activity - of regularly looking at your bank statements - is a strong tenant of financial literacy. It can help you spend your money more wisely and help you notice fraud.