Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Opinion: Class Of 2026, There’s Nothing Wrong With Slacking Off

With midterm season in full force, a lot of first-years are feeling the same pressure to constantly work like in high school. I’m here to tell you it’s OK to slack off.

10.24.22
Opinion: Class Of 2026, There’s Nothing Wrong With Slacking Off (Element5 Digital via Unsplash)

New York City, NYby Naisha Roy

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

Dear fellow first-years, let’s be honest. If you’re a student here, it’s because you didn’t slack off in high school — you were one of those child prodigies who cured cancer on a Saturday or wrote a Pulitzer-winning personal essay or took a ton of Advanced Placement courses and led all 50 of your school clubs. Or maybe you did slack off. Either way, we all had to fill out an application to get here, which meant breaking down those four years of our lives into a document that didn’t even get four minutes of attention. 

NYU’s Class of 2026 had an average unweighted GPA of 3.7 and a middle 50% SAT range of 1350-1530. If grades are any indicator, we are some of the most hard-working and brilliant students in the nation.

We’ve spent the last four years of our lives brainwashing ourselves into thinking that every test was a vital step to the eventual goal of college. Now that we’ve reached that goal, it’s okay to live in the moment a little. This is something we need to keep in mind as midterms come around. Yes, studying is important, but so are taking breaks and letting yourself recognize the insignificance of this one test in the greater scheme of your educational career — I like to think of it as a little healthy hedonism.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.