Paul Quinn College Receives $20 Million Donation

The donation will help the creator of the Urban Work College propel students through new initiatives and programming.

10.09.24
Paul Quinn College Receives $20 Million Donation (Courtesy of Paul Quinn College)

An anonymous donor recently gifted Paul Quinn College, a private four-year HBCU in Dallas, Texas, $20 million. 

Paul Quinn is widely known for being the creator of the Urban Work College model, which gives students attending the institution direct access to the workforce in their field. This program provides students with years of experience before they walk across the stage at graduation. They also are the only minority-serving, federally recognized Work College in America.

This is the largest donation in the history of the institution, which serves under five hundred students according to Bestcolleges.com. Paul Quinn College has already made strides to ensure that the students have an affordable tuition, only furthering their mission to propel their students. The gift will be used to develop and push new initiatives and programs to directly impact future Quinnites. 

A portion of the money will be used for scholarships however Dr. Michael J. Sorrell, the president of Paul Quinn College, expressed the importance of investing in other areas as well. 

“At an institution like Paul Quinn where we’ve already reduced the cost of attendance to reduce student loan debt…the overwhelming majority of our students are already experiencing a significant economic benefit from being here,” he said. 

He shared that with 75% of their students receiving Pell Grants and the school charging around $22-23k a year for room, tuition and fees, the school is greatly affordable. Also, adding the benefits from The Urban Work College model, students are able to economically succeed. 

As a way to pour back into the student body, they will be investing in their banking and finance program, a growing profession. 

“The best way for them to share this experience is spending it the way that we believe doing so, which is investing in the sustainability of the institution. So, we are pouring money into our banking and finance major. Part of the reason we are doing that is because banking and finance as majors have a direct pathway to economic stability,” said Sorrell. 

It will also help to curate an Office of Development for students along with physical upgrades to the campus.

Paul Quinn College is dedicated to preparing its students for the future and making sure they have the support they need, which is shown with their “WE over Me” motto. One of the ways that they ensure that is through their “Village Program,” an initiative that allows students to bring their village with them to college.

Students who are admitted are allowed to extend their admission to two additional people, which allows them to also attend college with them. The eligibility for the program requires the Base Student must be Pell Grant—eligible, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. The additional student will be met where they are, meaning they can take classes online, in person or join a certificate program. 

Students are now required to complete a business plan before completing their degree program, as a part of every “Quinnite is an Entrepreneur” initiative. 

“This program requires every Paul Quinn student to create a business before they graduate. So at Paul Quinn, you will either graduate with a job or creating jobs,”

Paul Quinn College is dedicated and has shown through programming initiatives and their student body that they are molding their students into leaders and they are excited to share their programming with the world.

“We are expanding nationally, we are going to open up campuses in other cities across the country. We think our model deserves to be replicated. And we are thrilled that there are institutions out there replicating the urban work college model,” said Sorrell.

Ariyana Griffin is a graduate student from Morgan State University. She is a California native and also a graduate of Clark Atlanta University. Follow her on X: @Ariyanaaganee and Instagram: @ari.yana.g.