Black Greek Effect: How Black Fraternities, Sororities May Push VP Kamala Harris Ahead

Divine Nine members are uniting in sisterhood and brotherhood more now, than ever.

10.07.24
Black Greek Effect: How Black Fraternities, Sororities May Push VP Kamala Harris Ahead (Getty Images)

The Black Greek effect stands on business and “service to all mankind.”   

Vice President  Kamala Harris continues to break the glass ceiling by being the first Black woman and South Asian person to run for President of the United States. Her culture-focused background as a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and a graduate of Howard University where she obtained a Political Science And Economics degree is just the beginning to her impact on the nation. 

“America is not ready for what’s coming,” said TikTok user @brownljb.

@brobromitts AKA and D9 are not playing! Can’t wait to see what comes next! Nothing can prepare us. #kamala #AKA #D9 #Kamala2024 #greeklife #sorority ♬ original sound – brownljb

Harris has proven her loyalty to making a difference over the years by fighting for what she believes in such as, but not limited to creating change in the housing, child care, and college areas. Speaking of loyalty, her membership in the Divine Nine, which is a collective of nine fraternities and sororities that has a mission to conduct social change for Blacks, the community, and the country is all exemplified in her everyday work.

The Divine Nine is standing by Harris and supporting her campaign. Her sorority along with Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. has created a PAC in an effort to raise money from its members for political change. Other members of the Divine Nine are standing in support of her as well, such as Camille McCallum, a two-time  graduate of the University of Mississippi and Southern Methodist University with a Bachelor’s in Public Policy Leadership, a minor in Journalism and a Master’s in Higher Education. McCallum is also a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. and the founder of Black Woman on A Mission. She has been creating a viral buzz on TikTok with her campaign T-shirts and informative videos about the upcoming election. 

@camilleviviana_ Replying to @Facts ONLY 📖 the tshirt committee is on the job! #AKA #BlackWomanonaMission #KamalaHarris #winwithblackwomen ♬ original sound – Camille

“The Divine Nine unites us around scholarship, service, and sisterly/brotherly love. We have a long history of producing exceptional leaders in our community, and as we see one of our own in VP Kamala Harris vying for the highest office in our country, it’s important that we compound our efforts, abandoning any silos, and using our collective voice and influence to mobilize our community. D9 leadership will play a pivotal role in making sure marginalized communities are registered to vote, informed on policy, and have access to the ballot box,” McCallum told YR Media. 

During Harris’s time as President Joe Biden’s running mate, the Divine Nine and others celebrated Harris by wearing pearls and chucks. Now, organizations are using their platforms to be a voice and spread awareness. 

“My organization Black Woman on a Mission has made it a priority to emphasize voter registration and combat misinformation in this election season. I am working with organizations such as Higher Heights, a political organization dedicated to mobilizing and electing Black Women to spread the word about the Harris campaign and keep the youth engaged and involved. I’ll also be working with the Congressional Black Caucus PAC in this regard as well. Whether it’s collaborating through content, events, or merchandise, Black Woman on a Mission is ready to support all efforts to get the community engaged in our upcoming election,” said McCallum.

Who is the Divine Nine?

• Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
  • Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
  • Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
  • Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
  • Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
  • Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
  • Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
  • Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
  • Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.

Ayanna Williams is an Alabama-based journalist who covers all things entertainment, fashion and beauty. Follow her on Instagram at @yannanicolee.