Gen Z Memes Surge for VP Kamala Harris’ Presidential Bid

Uproar in the media following President Biden’s statement of intent not to seek re-election sparked a wave of Gen Z-inspired memes to promote Vice President Kamala Harris’s campaign.

08.06.24
Gen Z Memes Surge for VP Kamala Harris’ Presidential Bid (Getty Images)

Following President Joe Biden’s endorsement of Vice President Kamala Harris as a candidate for the Democratic Party in the 2024 Presidential Election, the internet swiftly got to work to spread the news. Such uproar in the media brought with it a wave of Gen Z-inspired memes in an effort to promote Harris’ campaign.

Communities across social media platforms, such as TikTok and X, ignite this trend of memes celebrating Kamala Harris. These memes initially started as light-hearted humor in politics, but evolved into a genuine expression of the younger generation’s spirit. As people recognize the gravity this enthusiasm can hold, the trend is growing more impactful as a political weapon.

“I think it is really exciting and bringing a lot of energy and hope to folks that haven’t felt this way in some time and for young people that maybe haven’t had a moment of hope like this in politics before,” stated digital and political strategist Annie Wu Henry.

@allanthedoll We did it Joe #kamala #kamalaharris #politics #president #vicepresident ♬ original sound – Allan

The memes help capture Harris’ quirky interests, humorous expressions and empowering moments. Kamala Harris meme highlights include her coconut tree comment, interest in Venn diagrams and fondness for yellow school buses.

In addition, Harris is made reference to alongside other Gen Z trends, such as the viral feud between Drake and Kendrick Lamar.  Thanks to “They Not Like Us,” many people believe Lamar won and now associate Harris with Lamar. And there’s “Brat Girl Summer” trend started by pop singer Charli XCX’s new album “Brat.”

According to enthusiasts, as Kamala Harris memes reach millions of views, the Democratic Party seemingly has a fighting chance by tapping into the interests of young voters amid concerns following the 2024 June Presidential Debate.

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.