Presidential Election Nominees Compete for Gen Z Votes

Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump compete for votes from the younger demographic, which can be the deciding factor for the outcome of the 2024 Presidential Election.

08.05.24
Presidential Election Nominees Compete for Gen Z Votes (Getty Images)

Gaining support from the younger demographic is considered a key factor in winning the presidential election. Both Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump stand strong in this pursuit.

A poll taken in March by the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics revealed substantial information about the young demographic (the 18 to 29) involved in the political process. According to the results, Biden had an 8% upper hand in gaining support from Americans under 30 years of age.

In June, these statistics may have shifted. A three-day event held in Detroit in support of Trump took place called “The People’s Convention,” hosted by Turning Point Action. The focus of this event was to express Trump’s campaign, engage a large amount of young voters and attract strong support for his mission.

Within the past month, with booming fanfare following Biden’s announcement to step down, it is with speculation that Harris’ presidential campaign is also appealing to young demographics. People of color are especially moved by her representation in the political field.

It is observed that 83% of voter registration increase is credited to the 18 to 34. As initiatives in support of each campaign continue to roll out, the outcome of the presidential election seems to dwindle to the interests of young voters.

“Young Americans are more ready than ever to engage with these institutions to push for the change we want to see in the world,” stated Anil Cacodcar, Student Chair of the Harvard Public Opinion Project. 

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.