What’s at Stake With Project 2025?

Democrats said Project 2025 is a playbook of what’s to come if Trump gets back in office, including attacks on climate change, diversity, housing, immigration and reproductive rights.

08.22.24
What’s at Stake With Project 2025? (Colorado Gov. Jared Polis holds a copy of the Heritage Foundation's "Mandate for Leadership," a major component of the "Project 2025" political initiative. | Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images)

Several speakers took the stage at the DNC to highlight how Project 2025, a key talking point throughout the election cycle, would take the country backward.

The controversial 922-page policy recommendations – created by many in former President Donald Trump’s administration, organized by The Heritage Foundation and supported by more than 100 groups  – has been repeatedly referred to as “extreme” for the nation.

Trump tried to distance himself from it and claimed he didn’t know who was behind it during a rally in July: “They are extreme, seriously extreme. I don’t know anything about it. I don’t want to know anything about it.” 

Democrats said Project 2025 is a playbook of what’s to come if Trump gets back in office, including attacks on climate change, diversity, education, health care, housing, immigration and reproductive rights.

“No matter where you live, so-called blue states or red states, if Donald Trump has his way, he’s going to push through their extreme agenda Project 1825. I mean, I’m sorry. I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I roll that back. I got that wrong. Project 1925. Oh, I’m sorry, I”m sorry, Project 2025. That poisonous agenda where every single state will be in a state of crisis,” said Sen. Cory Booker. 

The President of EMILY’s List, Jessica Mackler, said it’s a “blueprint for banning abortion in all 50 states.”

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis agreed, pointing out specific pages that reference abortion bans and reproductive rights.

“Right here on page 562, it says that Donald Trump could use an obscure law from the 1800s to single-handedly ban abortion in all 50 states, even putting doctors in jail. Page 486 puts limits on contraception. Page 450 threatens access to IVF. On page 455, Project 2025 says that states have to report miscarriages to the Trump administration,” said Polis. 

Here’s more that’s at stake with Project 2025

• Climate change
    • The proposal suggests a cut in federal funds for investment and research in renewable energy.  
  • Diversity
    • Terms such as “abortion,” “diversity, equity and inclusion,” “gender,” “reproductive rights” and “sexual orientation,” to name a few, would be removed from all federal rules, agency regulations, contracts, grants, regulations and pieces of legislation.
  • Housing
    • Reversal of Housing Supply Fund that removes barriers to affordable housing and provides low-income housing tax credits.
  • Immigration
    • Calls for the immediate deportation of unaccompanied kids, more funding for U.S.-Mexico border wall and high fees for asylum seekers, among other items.