Is It Time to Pull the Plug on That Job?

There are three situations where it's not too soon to leave a job: a toxic situation; the job duties radically mismatch what you signed up for; and you've received a better offer elsewhere.

05.09.22
Is It Time to Pull the Plug on That Job? (Adobe Stock Photo)

ChicagoQuitting a new job is not uncommon and amid the Great Resignation, some may be leaving their jobs sooner. But before considering doing so, think about why you want to leave so soon.

Here are three situations where it is not too soon to quit a job, according to HuffPost.

You find yourself in a toxic job

Difficult bosses like micromanagers can be annoying but a toxic boss can be a threat to your health. 

Mary Abbajay, president of the leadership development consultancy Careerstone Group, told the HuffPost that a toxic boss “is a boss that is dehumanizing.”

“With a toxic boss, you are going to start to feel less than, you are going to be consumed with the stress of dealing with this person,” Abbajay said. 

That’s why once you recognize toxicity at a job, “you should think about getting out,” she added. 

The job is a radical mismatch with what you were promised in the interview

If the job you were sold by hiring managers is different in reality, you shouldn’t wait too long for things to get better. That’s especially the case if there will be no learning opportunities ahead, no internal mobility and no alignment with your planned career future.

If you think a mismatch role is fixable, talk to your manager about what changes you need to see, said Jasmin Escalera, a career coach. But don’t put too much pressure on yourself to stay in a job that doesn't suit you. 

You get a better offer that aligns with your goals

If you get a dream job offer soon after you start a new job, you should think about whether the new opportunity is better for your future career success. If it’s “going to get you to that end goal quicker and faster, you have to do what’s in the best service to you,” said Escalera. 

However, too many one-year-and under-stints on your resume can look bad to potential employers, according to Abbajay. But in a job interview, make sure to be transparent about past mismatches. You should also be clear that the experience confirms that the new opportunity is for you.