Will We See #JusticeForRalph?

04.20.23
Will We See #JusticeForRalph?

ChicagoWhen will the double standard stop?

Sadly, another young Black male has made national headlines for being shot. This time the incident took place in Kansas City, MO.

Ralph Yarl, 16, went to pick up his siblings when he accidentally rang the doorbell of the wrong home. Yarl was then shot twice, including a shot to the head by a white man who claimed to be “scared to death” because he believed Yarl was trying to break into his home. The homeowner, who was recently identified as 84-year-old Andrew Lester, was put on a 24hr hold before being released pending further investigation, said Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves in a news conference on Sunday.

Since then, an arrest warrant has been issued against Lester for assault and armed criminal action, but only after a group of protesters called for justice saying phrases like “Justice for Ralph” and holding signs that read “Ringing a doorbell is not a crime.”

Lester turned himself in at a detention center on Tuesday, then hours later was released on bail. The terms of his $200,000 bond prevent him from having any type of weapon and cannot have direct or indirect contact with Yarl or the Yarl family, according to Clay County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Sarah Boyd.

My question is, why did it take so long to arrest Lester? Lester’s intent was clear, yet he was released after 24 hours. What makes him special? Many of us have our own personal opinion on what the answer to that is.