Rejected From College, But Still Hopeful

10.15.17
It's the start of a new school year. I'm seeing my friends off to college. I thought I'd be going with them, but it didn't work out that way. I was rejected from all the universities I applied to. Just six very elite colleges and zero safety schools. When it became clear I wouldn't be attending a four year college in the fall, I felt like I'd failed. I kept thinking back on my dad's graveyard shifts, my encouraging teachers, and the many hours I studied. It all felt wasted. All throughout high school, I was told college was my next and only step. Being rejected opened my eyes to how many options there actually are. I could go to Paris and study at Bows Arts. I could skip post-secondary education all together. The possibilities are overwhelming, but also exciting. Part of me is bitter about missing out on the traditional freshman experience, but I'm also glad to sort out some of the confusion of transitioning to adulthood without the burden of a pricey tuition.