Content in partnership with KQED

Rethinking My Priorities After College Apps

09.26.24
Rethinking My Priorities After College Apps (Courtesy of LaVie Saad)

Since eighth grade, most of my concerns were college-related. From internships to tutoring to Advanced Placement classes, I worked myself to the bone to achieve my goal: acceptance into a top college. For all those years, it was the only thing on my mind — and the only thing that mattered to me. 

The college application process is finally over for me. While I don’t regret much, there are a few things I wish I did differently.

My parents, especially my mom, thought that I was pushing myself way too hard. She was especially concerned by how sick I was throughout high school. It felt like I was constantly dealing with a sore throat or stuffy nose.

Looking back, I think my parents were right. Even though I’m glad I put in the work, I should’ve taken better care of my health. Maybe if I prioritized myself a little more, I wouldn’t have developed a poor snacking habit that ruined my skin sophomore year. I might’ve also avoided years worth of terrible sleep deprivation, which also contributed to my poor immune system.

And most of all, I wish I didn’t stress so much after college apps were submitted. Those extra worries didn’t impact my admission results in the slightest; all the overthinking, the frantic phone calls made to friends, and the agony from not knowing were definitely not necessary. 

Part of me wonders why I only realized all of this now that high school is over. But everything I was doing — overworking myself and adopting unhealthy habits along the way — was expected of me. My friends were encouraged to do the same. But pushing ourselves to our limits shouldn’t be the standard just to get into college. 

Now I know I’ll need to find a better balance. I’m already working really hard in college. But I’m trying to be more mindful of what I put on my plate and really listen to my body. After all, it’s impossible to be truly successful without taking care of yourself.

LaVie Saad (she/her), is a rising freshman at Stanford University.

Edited by Amber Ly