Content in partnership with Washington Square News

As Roe v. Wade Turns 50, Protesters March Against the Loss of Abortion Rights

A group of abortion rights activists marched down Broadway in support of nationwide abortion access, joining thousands of demonstrators throughout the country.

01.26.23
As Roe v. Wade Turns 50, Protesters March Against the Loss of Abortion Rights (Carmo Moniz via Washington Square News)

New York City, NYby Carmo Moniz

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

Hundreds of people marched from Washington Square Park to the Financial District on Sunday, calling for national abortion rights on what would have been the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. The rally was a part of the seventh annual Women’s March, a national event centered on social issues such as reproductive and voting rights.

Ymoni Shavuo, a teacher and the founder of activist group Black Feminists Matter, led the New York City march, where she called for better access to safe and affordable abortions across the country.

“When we think about Roe v. Wade, it’s deeper than abortion,” Shavuo said. “It’s bigger than Roe. It’s about freedom. A child is born into this world in the condition of its mother, if the mother is struggling that child is born struggling.”

As protesters made their way down Broadway to the final destination of the march at the intersection of Wall Street and Broad Street, they chanted “abortion rights are human rights,” and “no uterus, no opinion.” Many attendees carried signs, with some reading “legal abortion nationwide now!” and “our future, our fight, our bodies.”

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.