Sasha Johnson: Arrests Made in Shooting of London BLM Activist

05.28.21
Sasha Johnson: Arrests Made in Shooting of London BLM Activist (Photo: Sasha Johnson/@thesashajohnson via Instagram)

DeKalb, ILLondon police have arrested five men in connection with the shooting of British Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson. 

Johnson, a 27-year-old mother of three, has been in critical condition in hospital since she was shot in the head at a house party in south London on Sunday.

A 17-year-old was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon and possession with the intent to supply class A drugs, according to a Wednesday statement from Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Inspector Richard Leonard.

Three men – aged 18, 19 and 28 – were arrested on suspicions of affray – fighting in a public space – and for possession of class B drugs with intent to supply. A fifth man, 25, was arrested following a car chase on suspicion of affray and for failing to stop for police. All five men remain in custody.

"While the investigation remains in its early stages, these arrests show that progress is being made,” Leonard said in the statement. “However, I would continue to appeal to those who may hold information about the events that led to Sasha receiving her horrific injuries, or about those responsible, to do the right thing and come forward and speak to police.” 

Johnson rose to prominence last year after she helped organize a series of protests against institutional racism in the UK in the wake of George Floyd's murder.