DeKalb, IL — An 8-year-old Michigan girl was hospitalized following an attempt to recreate a magic trick that she saw on TikTok.
The girl attempted to copy a TikTok post by user gregsabbak where he pretended to swallow a die and then made it reappear after five seconds.
However, she couldn’t find a die, so she used a quarter instead. While practicing the trick in the bathroom, she accidentally swallowed the coin.
“She said she couldn’t swallow,” her father said, according to Yahoo. “She couldn’t breathe hardly, and that’s when me and her mother started to panic.”
Her parents rushed her to two hospitals before a doctor was able to see them.
“They immediately took her back,” her father said. “I didn’t know how bad the situation was until they brought the x-ray back, and I saw the quarter right there in her esophagus. It killed me, man.”
Doctors told her parents that she would need emergency surgery since the quarter was lodged sideways in her esophagus. The girl was discharged the next day.
“This could happen to any child,” her father said.