Searching for a Fall Internship? Here’s Some Advice

07.24.23
Searching for a Fall Internship? Here’s Some Advice (Getty Images)

AtlantaCollege students across the United States are now on the hunt for internship opportunities for the next semester. This is the time when lots of applications open for the fall and winter internships, and believe it or not, for next summer.

Research

To get ahead of the game, start with a list of companies that accept interns that you want to work with. Keep track of all the essential information, contact details, application deadlines and required materials. It can help to jot down a few distinguishing features about the company as well, just in case they call and you need to recall some information quickly. 

Check with your school’s career center

To find an internship, check with your school department about potential companies you're interested in, some may even offer housing accommodations. These are good things to look for while still in college that will help you secure a job post-graduation, you may even be offered a position after you complete your internship. Networking is one of the essential things, put your name out there, follow people on LinkedIn, and regularly send messages. 

Ask alumni for advice

Danni Harris, a graduating senior from Clark Atlanta University recently received a job offer from Teachers For America, TFA. 

“I have been working with TFA since this year doing an internship at an elementary school here in Atlanta,” said Harris, an English and Journalism major. After she graduates she will begin teaching in the Metro Atlanta area. “I was introduced to TFA at a job fair here on campus, and I really want to become an educator,” said Harris. “Any advice I’d give is to make sure you’re reaching out to your advisors and teachers, they are the key to finding opportunities for you. A good word is better than no word, these people know people who are in your field, take advantage of these resources.”

It is very important to check with your university's alumni to see what former students who were in your department are doing now with their careers. They may even be willing to help you land the internship or put your name in rooms you have yet to walk in. 

Look close to home

If there are also companies in your hometown that you will be in for summer break, reach out or if possible, go in person and seek information on how to apply or shadow people. 

Additionally, look for on-campus opportunities that will strengthen your resume, everything adds and builds to your work experience. Update your resume regularly, and get creative with it. Don't do a simple black-and-white resume, use colors to catch the reader's attention. Take up freelance opportunities too, some may be paying little, but the experience is a big thing. 

Miracle Trice, (she/her) is from Portland but is an Atlanta-based journalist who covers all aspects of  entertainment and culture. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @miracletb_