I Know It’s Summer, But Does It Have To Be So Hot?

Check out our tips to survive the heat wave.

07.25.22
I Know It’s Summer, But Does It Have To Be So Hot? (Scott Olson via Getty Images)

Atlanta, GASummertime brings warm weather, which is not unusual, but does it feel like the sun's rays have been a little brighter this summer?

Weather apps have used phrases like "extreme and deadly" or "heat emergency" immediately upon opening, warning users about what to expect once they leave their homes. We are experiencing these temperatures as a result of heat waves.

From California, Texas and all the way to the United Kingdom, the abundance of extra cooling towels and water bottles filled with ice are a tell-tell sign that something is different about this summer’s temperatures.

Recently, New York City saw temperatures higher than 90 degrees for six consecutive days; Newark, New Jersey made history as it reached 100 for five straight days; Memphis, Tennessee experienced between 90 to 100; Dallas reached 100 at least 30 times this year; Portland, Oregon has been in the low 100s; and Washington state is expected to top 115.

What is a heat wave? 

A heat wave is a stretch of unusual hot weather that oftentimes lasts more than two days and exposes a huge number of people to hazardous heat. They can occur with or without high humidity, according to the National Weather Service.

Tips to staying safe during hot weather

• Wear lightweight, loose-fitting and light-colored clothing
  • Avoid the sun when possible
  • Reduce or cut out strenuous activities
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Take advantage of air conditioning, fans or designated cooling centers
  • Check on those in vulnerable age groups (seniors and young kids) and those physically challenged.