Sweethearts Candies for Conflicted Gen Z Lovers Have Arrived

How Sweethearts are keeping up with the times.

01.17.24
Sweethearts Candies for Conflicted Gen Z Lovers Have Arrived (Getty Images)

Sweethearts, the iconic conversation heart candy, has launched a quirky and timely addition to its lineup — the Situationship Boxes. These unique confections were available online, according to ABC News, and cater to a growing trend among singles embracing the complexities of modern relationships. However, the new addition to the Sweethearts collection has sold out according to the official website

There is a new drop expected to come soon.

Evan Brock, the vice president of marketing for Spangler, the company behind Sweethearts, expressed enthusiasm for the new product, noting that “singles are taking ‘situationships’ to the next level this year, and Sweethearts is here for them.” He emphasized the company’s willingness to embrace imperfections in the printing process, turning what might be considered flaws into a clever nod to contemporary pop culture.

The concept of “situationships” has gained traction, defined by the Cleveland Clinic as romantic entanglements where the participants haven’t formally established the nature of their relationship. From the casual connection with “that one person you meet up with whenever they happen to be in town” to the reliable ‘plus one’ for couple-oriented events, situationships defy traditional labels, exclusivity, and boundaries.

Notably, research from Tinder, a leading swipe-centric dating app, reveals that young singles now view situationships as a legitimate relationship status, despite their undefined and noncommittal nature. This shift in perspective underscores the evolving landscape of contemporary dating, where fluidity and ambiguity are increasingly embraced.

The term “situationship” has also made waves beyond everyday conversation, earning recognition as a finalist for the Oxford University Press 2023 Word of the Year. This acknowledgment highlights the term’s cultural relevance and its incorporation into the lexicon of relationships in the modern era.

Sweethearts’ Situationship Boxes represent a playful and timely acknowledgment of the changing dynamics in the realm of romance. By celebrating the intricacies of undefined relationships, Sweethearts aims to connect with a generation that values authenticity and embraces the ever-evolving nature of love and connection.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.