Teen Tries To Change Perception of Young Black Men

04.14.14
Growing up as a young, black male in America is not easy. Sometimes it feels like I’m walking on eggshells just to walk a straight line. I often catch myself smiling whenever I’m in conversations with upper-class white folks, so they won’t feel threatened by my presences. There’s been times when I’ve walked down the street and seen car doors lock and purses tucked tighter. I worry a lot of being misinterpreted as a thug, even at my classes at the college of Alameda. I never ask questions, so that other student’s wouldn’t hear how I speak and associate my language with a thug. All that changed when I recently was recruited to join a class that’s specifically for men of color. We learn professional and public speaking skills and how to be leaders and improvise in tough situations. We all come from different backgrounds, but we all share the same desire, to get a college degree. I believe this class will help me become more comfortable and confident, and help me change other peoples’ opinions of all young black males in America.