Content in partnership with KCBS

Thankful for Thanksgiving Traditions

11.18.16
Thankful for Thanksgiving Traditions
Thanksgiving

Eating the same thing over and over sounds pretty boring, right? But when it comes to the Thanksgiving menu, I am not a fan of change.

Most years, my family all gets together. Before we eat we do a big prayer circle. Then while we eat a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, all my older relatives gossip about me and my cousins -- all of our accomplishments, bad things, and new experiences we’ve had throughout the year.

But, last year on Thanksgiving, my immediate family broke tradition. Instead of roasting a turkey, making cranberry sauce, and dressing, my parents, brothers, and I ate bbq ribs, yams, and mac & cheese from a local restaurant. The food really was delicious, but to me, it was more like Labor Day food than Thanksgiving.

I usually like change, but taking a year off from my family’s traditions made me realize how much I appreciate the ritual of it all. This year, I hope we can get back normal. That’s something that would make me really thankful.