The World Laughs With You

by Rafael Johns
Also Featured on KCBS

The World Laughs With You

by Rafael Johns
Also Featured on KCBS
03.16.15
03.16.15

Imagine you are standing before a crowd. You’re totally prepared to talk but now that you’re up there, staring at the audience, all of a sudden you feel like you can’t breathe.

As a member of the Gay Straight Alliance, our group went from class to class sharing our stories and increasing people’s awareness of LGBT issues. But the first time I got in front of a class I froze.

I’d practiced what I was going to say what felt like a million times, but once I was up there, I was so worried about saying the wrong thing that I got scared. Everyone staring at you expectantly is daunting, especially when you’re sharing something incredibly personal, like a coming out story.

But I introduced myself anyway. In fact, I made the class laugh. That’s when I realized I just needed to keep the audience, and more importantly myself, cackling.

Public speaking isn’t something that scares me anymore. As long as I can find some way to inject a little humor into whatever I’m saying, I can keep laughing through my fear.

Coronavirus Update to YR Media Community