Tick Tock: In College, There’s Never Enough Time

09.01.23
Tick Tock: In College, There’s Never Enough Time (jeshoots via Unsplash)

Boulder, COWhen you’re living on your own for the first time, it’s easy to not take care of yourself — sleeping late, eating unhealthy food. That’s definitely been my experience during my first year of college.

I remember this one time I was studying for a big exam. Two hours into my study session, I started to lose focus. I kept wondering to myself, “What’s going on with me today?”

Then, I heard a funny little noise from my stomach. That’s when I finally realized — I hadn’t eaten almost anything all day.

Since starting college, managing my time in order to both take care of myself and do my other tasks hasn’t been easy. 

Everyday I’m racing to my classes while juggling homework, an internship and a social life. And it’s easy to feel overwhelmed with so much on my plate.

But I’m determined not to let this cycle of chaos repeat this school year.

I plan on taking breaks and eating when I need to. I’m trying to remember that my body is not a machine. And I shouldn’t treat it as such.

Emma Schulman, (she/they) is a student journalist majoring in political science at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Edited by Amber Ly and Shaylyn Martos