Tips For Writing Your Personal Statement

These four tips should make it easier for you to master writing the essential essay for your college applications.

11.07.22
Tips For Writing Your Personal Statement (Provided by True Star Media)

With it being college app season, I wanted to share some tips for writing a personal statement. It can be a stressful task, but hopefully, these tips can relieve some anxiety.

Just Start 

Sometimes the hardest thing to do when writing your PS is starting. Often we overthink it and barely even get a word out. Write out whatever comes to your mind and make corrections later.

Have Someone Read Over It

I know it can be hard letting someone else read something so personal, but it’s important to let someone check over your work and see what mistakes you might not have otherwise seen yourself.

Be Yourself 

A common mistake people make when writing essays is trying to cater to the schools. While it’s essential to implement elements of why you want to attend the school in your essay, it’s even more important to be yourself. Your statement is a chance for admissions to get to know you better. Compel the readers by telling them YOUR story.

Give Yourself Grace 

Senior year is stressful. You have to worry about school fees, pictures, prom, scholarships, and a million other things while navigating being a teen transitioning to adulthood. Relax! It’s okay to take a break and come back later. Your statement is a big deal, but your mental and physical health should be your priority.