Overview of Trump’s Second Impeachment Trial

02.10.21
Overview of Trump’s Second Impeachment Trial (House impeachment managers, lead by Congressman Jamie Raskin, Lead Manager, proceed through the Capitol Rotunda as the second impeachment trial of former U.S. President Donald Trump begins. (Photo: Sarah Silbiger/Getty Images))

Former President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial opened Tuesday with a 13-minute long video of the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol.

Here’s a rundown of what has happened already and what is to expect for the rest of the trial. 

Trump is out of office. Why does it matter if he is impeached or not? 

An impeachment would prevent the one-term president from running again. 

Many Republican senators are against the impeachment on the basis that it is unconstitutional because Trump is no longer in office. However, two constitutional scholars have debunked that argument. 

The House impeached him Jan. 13 while he was still in office, making the impeachment valid. 

On the first day of the trial, six Republican senators, along with all 50 Democratic enators, voted in favor of the continuation of the trial, declaring it constitutional. 

Who is leading the impeachment process? 

Meet Maryland Representative Jamie Raskin. The former constitutional law professor is leading the House’s prosecution against Trump, who is being tried for one charge of incitement of insurrection. 

Serving his third term in the House, Raskin was recently in the news after the loss by suicide of his son

What might the trial look like?

“You ask what a high crime and misdemeanor is under our constitution? That’s a high crime and misdemeanor,” said Raskin at the end of the 13-minute video, pledging to present a case on “cold hard facts.”

Republican senators said they will keep an open mind, but Democrats need 17 Republicans to vote for the conviction, which is unlikely according to experts. 

Wednesday, Democratic House managers plan to open their arguments with never-before-seen security footage of the Capitol riots. 

Each side gets allotted up to 16 hours over two days to make their arguments, beginning with Democratic House managers and followed by Trump’s lawyers. 

How long will the trial last?

The trial will continue everyday until a verdict is reached, including Sunday