UC Berkeley to Help the Student-Run Daily Californian, For a Fee

If the $6 semester fee initiative — which will generate $400,00 to keep the paper running for the next five years — doesn't get the required votes, the publication "will cease to exist," according to the Daily Californian editor-in-chief.

04.08.22
UC Berkeley to Help the Student-Run Daily Californian, For a Fee (@dailycal via Instagram)

UC Berkeley students have the fate of the independent newspaper in their hands as they await the results of the vote on a $6 semester fee.

The “Save the Daily Cal Initiative” was part of a two-day voting process for the Associated Students of the University of California. In order for the vote to pass, 20% of the student body needs to weigh in. If students vote for the fee, $400,000 would be generated and it would fund the newspaper for the next five years.

“If the fee initiative doesn’t pass, the Daily Californian as we know it will cease to exist,” said Jasper Kenzo Sundeen, editor in chief and president. “Without student support, the newspaper won’t be able to give the community its news.”

The Daily Californian has been around for 150 years serving as a rival to the Stanford Daily, according to The San Francisco Chronicle. The free paper reports on stories concerning UC Berkeley and the city of Berkeley.