Rising First-Year Students Concerned About Commitment to UC Davis

The news of the three University of California Davis stabbings occurring over the past week has shaken not only the campus, but incoming students as well.

05.05.23
Rising First-Year Students Concerned About Commitment to UC Davis (@ucdavisadmissions via Instagram)

California; San PabloThe news of the three University of California Davis stabbings occurring over the past week has shaken not only the campus, but incoming students as well. 

As it's commitment month for high school seniors, many students are figuring out which college to commit to. Several students have committed to UC Davis, especially for its suburban and safe location. The recent crime that took place near the campus is unusual, as the last homicide reported in the town occurred in 2019

One senior who recently committed to Davis was left concerned. When Briana Gonzalez, a Bay Area native, toured the campus, she felt a sense of comfort. 

“It was nice, the people were trusting,” she said. The environment greatly contributed to her college decision. 

However, after hearing the news of the crime, she wondered if the city is well-suited to handle an unfamiliar incident like this. She hopes that this will bring higher safety measures and resources to the city. 

The situation has raised changes in her own precautions. She considers carrying pepper spray in the fall and is curious as to what her future college experience will look like. “I wonder if it’ll ever get back to normal,” Gonzalez said.  

Another rising first-year student was conflicted, but believed that UC Davis communicated well. Although she has not started her fall term yet, she received a series of emails regarding the stabbings along with campus safety. She was glad to be in the loop and appreciated the university’s transparency. 

The campus has retained normal classes during the day, but classes and events after 6 p.m. have transitioned to online. The email also suggested services like Safe Ride and announced the installment of more cameras around the campus. “It’s still scary,” she says. But, the University’s response reassured her.

The incident has sparked changes to safety measures in the small college town. Once laid back, many students are now more cautious of their surroundings. The crime has had a worrying impact on the UC Davis community, leaving future students concerned — but better prepared.