UCLA Providing Teaching Resource About AAPI History for Teens

The project aligns with a bill signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom last year that included ethnic studies as a graduation requirement for all K-12 students beginning the 2025-2026 school year.

07.21.22
UCLA Providing Teaching Resource About AAPI History for Teens (Adobe Stock Photo)

The UCLA Asian American Studies Center is developing a free digital resource to teach about Asian American and Pacific Islander experiences geared toward high school and college students. 

The resource will contain lessons about the groups and their cultures, histories and contributions to the United States. The course material will also consist of flexible modules and learning activities curated by members of the AAPI communities, according to Yahoo News 

Karen Umemoto, the Helen and Morgan Chu endowed director’s chair of the Asian American Studies Center, said the resource will be “the most comprehensive, scholar-informed, online history of AAPIs that redefines the American narrative and opens unlimited possibilities for building a just, multiracial and democratic future.”

Asian American Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus member Al Muratsuchi mentioned the resource “will provide an authoritative and invaluable resource for California high schools and colleges as we prepare for the teaching of ethnic studies throughout the state.”

“I look forward to continuing to collaborate with UCLA to ensure that Asian American and Pacific Islander history and perspectives are properly taught in our classrooms,” he said.