Tax Assistance Program Helps Save Students Time, Stress During Filing Season

The federally-backed VITA Tax Service exists for underserved communities.

03.18.24
Tax Assistance Program Helps Save Students Time, Stress During Filing Season (Getty Images)

California; HaywardWith tax season still underway, a lot of people have yet to begin the filing process. For students, taxes can be intimidating. Crunching numbers for little things and having the federal government’s added pressure to have it done fast isn’t exactly helpful on top of assignments from school. 

Most college campuses have integrated a fairly new tax service program called VITA.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a vital initiative providing crucial tax preparation services to low-income individuals, seniors, college students, persons with disabilities, and limited English-speaking taxpayers. Operated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), VITA aims to ensure that eligible taxpayers receive the tax credits and deductions they are entitled to, thus maximizing their refunds and financial well-being.

One of the most significant advantages of the VITA program is its provision of free tax preparation services. This is particularly beneficial for individuals who may need more financial means to pay for professional tax assistance. By offering no-cost tax preparation, VITA helps alleviate the financial burden associated with tax filing, ensuring that everyone, regardless of their economic status, can access quality tax assistance. California State University campuses have been highlighting these services during tax season in recent years.

VITA sites are typically located in communities with high concentrations of underserved populations, making it easier for eligible individuals to access these services. These sites are often set up in community centers, libraries, college campuses, and other easily accessible locations, providing a familiar and comfortable environment for taxpayers seeking assistance.

Another key feature of the VITA program is the utilization of trained volunteers. These volunteers undergo rigorous training provided by the IRS, ensuring that they are well equipped to handle various tax situations and provide accurate assistance. The dedication and commitment of these volunteers play a crucial role in the success of the VITA program, as they offer their time and expertise to help others navigate the complexities of the tax system.

In addition to tax preparation services, VITA sites also offer electronic filing options, enabling taxpayers to receive their refunds more quickly and securely. This electronic filing feature helps expedite the refund process, providing much-needed financial relief to individuals who may be relying on their tax refunds to cover essential expenses.

VITA assists taxpayers in accessing important tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC). These credits can significantly impact an individual or family's financial situation, providing a valuable source of income that can help lift them out of poverty or alleviate financial strain.

Students at CSU campuses have been able to file taxes through VITA, which has made their lives much easier. Twenty-one-year-old CSU East Bay student Amanda Ritney was vocal about the program’s benefits.

“I almost used TurboTax until I found out about VITA,” she said. Ritney filed her taxes for free with the help of trained volunteers. “I saved money and I didn’t worry about any mistakes I could have made from self-filing,” the junior student said.

These services are accessible until April 15. Contact your campus financial aid department for information on how to get assistance through VITA.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.