Voter Registration Deadlines 2020: State by State

09.23.20
Voter Registration Deadlines 2020: State by State (Photo: Tiffany Tertipes/Unsplash)

Oakland, CAIf you just turned 18 and you're voting for the first time in the 2020 election, you might not know what to expect. But before you head to the polls, you need to make sure you're registered.

While Election Day 2020 is fast approaching, there is still time to register, but many state deadlines are as soon as early October. If you are registered, now is a good time to confirm your status.

The biggest race on this year’s ticket is the presidential one, where Democratic nominee Joe Biden will face incumbent Donald Trump. Several contentious Senate seats will also be on the ballot, including the spots held by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Alabama Democrat Doug Jones and Maine Republican Susan Collins.

Voter registration deadlines vary by state. Some allow you to register on Election Day, while others close their registration almost a month in advance — one, North Dakota, doesn’t even require you to register.

We’ve pulled together a quick guide to everything you need to know about how to register in your state by mail, online or in person.