Content in partnership with Talker

West Coast Has Most Environmentally-Conscious States

California, Oregon and Washington are in the top 10 list of most eco-friendly states.

04.12.24
West Coast Has Most Environmentally-Conscious States (Getty Images)

New Mexico, California and Oregon are the self-declared most eco-friendly states, according to new research.

The survey of 5,000 Americans, split evenly by state, asked respondents how environmentally conscious they consider themselves on a day-to-day basis, with a scale from 0 to 10.

New Mexicans came out as the most environmentally conscious, rating themselves as 5.7 out of 10 — with California and Oregon not far behind, with each giving themselves a 5.5.

Following that was a four-way tie, with Delaware, Massachusetts, Vermont and Washington each giving themselves a 5.4 out of 10.

Respondents from Florida, Maryland and Rhode Island all gave themselves a 5.3, rounding out the top 10 most environmentally conscious states.

Commissioned by Avocado Green Mattress and conducted by OnePoll ahead of Earth Day, the survey also explored what it means for respondents to be environmentally conscious and how this has impacted their lives.

Being environmentally conscious affects respondents on a day-to-day level: almost a fifth (17%) said worries about the environment keep them up at night.

Of respondents who lose sleep due to worries about the environment, the average person misses out on about three hours of sleep per week.

This was even higher in Texas, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Mississippi — respondents in those five states all reported losing more than four hours of sleep per week.

The top worry keeping respondents awake is a fear that the planet won’t be liveable for their children and/or grandchildren (54%).

That was followed by being unprepared for rising sea levels and/or extreme weather events expected in their state/area (38%) and worries they’ll need to move because of those (28%).

Originally published by Talker News