What It’s Like To Be A Translator

by Amanda Agustin
Also Featured on KCBS
07.24.16
07.24.16

IMG_0589(1)

My mom learned she wasn’t “American” enough — every time someone shot a snarky comment about her broken English.

My mom is one of the funniest, most high-spirited people I know. In the living room of my uncle’s house, she cracks jokes — in Spanish. She cackles at them afterwards. Her laughter is unafraid and carefree–a sound I never hear from her in English.

That easy-going woman I know is not the same woman I see with PTA moms. In English-only environments, she doesn’t speak up. She looks at me to finish her sentences.

I used to watch other parents connect and wished so badly my mom could belong to that American culture. I thought that if she could just try harder maybe people would take her seriously. As I grow older, though, I realize that I can’t blame her for being uncomfortable interacting in English. If I was belittled every time I put myself out there, I’d be insecure too. I hope one day she won’t feel that she needs me to finish the ends of her sentences, but I’m proud of her even if she does.

Support young journalists and artists