Writers’ Strike: Inspiring Hope for the Future of Writing

The ongoing Writers Guild of America strike is a fight for more than fair compensation. It’s changing the future of the writing industry.

06.27.23
Writers’ Strike: Inspiring Hope for the Future of Writing (Michael Nigro/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images)

Oakland, CAI want my passion for writing to be my future. But with writers on strike, the industry is more daunting than ever. 

I’ve always enjoyed writing, but entering highschool, it became ingrained in my life. I started focusing on creative nonfiction and completely fell in love with it. Now, writing is the only thing I can imagine spending the rest of my life doing. 

In May, the Writers Guild of America, representing 11,500 writers across the country, went on strike for fair compensation and improved working conditions, and it brought the entertainment industry to a halt. 

In my eyes, the WGA isn’t just fighting to be paid more, but because they deserve to be treated like their lives, and the work they do, are just as important as everyone else’s.

The WGA are in their second month on strike, and don’t show any signs of stopping. Writers striking for what they deserve is inspiring. I love writing. I want to make a future out of it, and I'm glad the WGA is holding their ground to make that future possible. 

Phoebe Lefebvre is a high school student at Oakland School of the Arts focusing on creative nonfiction writing.

Edited by Amber Ly and Shaylyn Martos