Young Women of Color Face Higher Unemployment Rates Amid Pandemic

11.23.21
Young Women of Color Face Higher Unemployment Rates Amid Pandemic (Photo: Christina via UNSPLASH)

It's no secret that many people lost their jobs since the COVID-19 pandemic rendered millions isolated in March 2020. However, in particular, young women of color continue to face amplified disadvantages in this area. 

There are countless potential culprits to this issue. 

For instance, women of color were more often involved in fields that were hit hardest by the pandemic’s initial waves, such as teaching and healthcare. This made Black, Indigenous and Latina women ages 16-24 the most likely racial and ethnic groups to lose their jobs or leave school. According to NBC, Black women’s employment rates have decreased 9.7% since the beginning of the pandemic, and Latina women’s employment rates have decreased by 8.6%. 

Additionally, caregiving obligations could be a relevant factor. 

Black and Latina women are at the highest levels among young adults to not work for pay due to caregiving responsibilities, 13.1% and 11.5% respectively. Women usually face more societal pressure to take on a primary caregiving role, meaning that women are more likely to sacrifice job opportunities to raise a child.