Gen Z is No Longer the Future, But the Present

Gen Z is more involved in public policy than ever before, they are present in the climate action space, gun violence prevention, education reform and every other leading issue in this country.

03.21.24
Gen Z is No Longer the Future, But the Present (Courtesy of the U.S. Dept. of Education)

In the last five years, Gen Z has come of voting age and they tend to be disillusioned with traditional political structures and parties, and are skeptical of mainstream politics. About eight million Gen Z are eligible to vote this year and of that number, 47% are BIPOC. YR Media’s “Control Z: #Vote2024” series examines the impact the young generation will have this election season and how more Gen Z candidates are looking to have a seat at the table.

About 90 young leaders and changemakers from around the country recently convened for the 2024 White House Youth Policy Summit that connected youth voices to leaders from various federal agencies. With a heated election season and contradicting opinions on recent legislation, many Gen Z have voiced their concerns. 

A recent Common Sense Media Survey found that nearly two-thirds of respondents, ages 12-17,  do not feel their needs or experiences reflected in their elected officials and politicians. Which is why this year’s summit was so crucial? Rather than feeling miles and levels away from their respective lawmakers, students across the country got to get an up-close look and a seat at the table with federal policymakers from the Department of Education, Justice, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security and Labor. 

Investing in community-led programs, creating a youth task force for the various departments and more opportunities for youth involvement in policy matters were resounding points (emphasis on being compensated for their contributions was also important). Calling for a ceasefire in Gaza was also a reoccuring response. 

Fatima Ahmad, the 2023 Youth Poet Laureate from NYC called the conversations between the fellow activists from different states “nourishing.” 

“It cultivated a powerhouse demanding change, action plannings, & holding authorities accountable to what they promised,” said Ahmad, “It was exciting & memorable to see how much other people are just as passionate about change as I am & connecting that purpose through my own speciality of poetry activism.” 

Job Corps, the leading nationwide residential career training program has been operating for more than 50 years and had student representatives at the Summit. The young people ages 16-24 in Job Corps receive help with their high school education and employment after school. 

Elijah Strong, who got involved back in October 2023, discussed the work he does.

“I got involved to pursue a career in hospitality then was brought another opportunity to build a professional portfolio in advocacy for young adults,” said Strong, “Job Corps has helped me develop the skills necessary to become employable and gain ever lasting experiences such as speaking to youth from many different high schools and leading various business meetings. I have also obtained my drivers permit hours needed to obtain my license and gotten a platform to start building my life outside of Job Corps.” 

At the Summit, he advocated for educators, saying that they have been facing the same issues for too long: “Students aren’t obtaining the correct curriculum needed in today’s society and many schools are facing issues with diversity.” 

Gen Z is more involved in public policy than ever before, they are present in the climate action space, gun violence prevention, education reform and every other leading issue in this country. It’s no longer a matter of Gen Z being the future, it’s a matter of recognizing and investing in their presence. 

Cherie Animashaun is an author and activist from the Chicagoland area. She is a freshman at Cornell University studying Public Policy. You can follow her on Instagram @ her.risingg