Youth Run Restaurant Old Skool Cafe

09.27.12
Youth Run Restaurant Old Skool Cafe

Our partners at KALW recently produced a story about a youth-run restaurant in San Francisco that is part supper club, part youth development organization, and part workforce training program.

Old Skool Cafe is a 1940's themed jazz restaurant, run by at-risk youth. Founder, Teresa Goines, came up with the idea after working as a youth corrections officer where she consistantly saw teenagers struggling to find jobs. "So if nobody's going to hire them," said Goines, "than I need to create something...that could be sustainable, that can help them make more than minimum wage."

Youth employees work to cook, wait tables, and manage the restaurant, as well as peform live music on stage in throwback satin regalia. In addition to the work experience, young folks get wraparound support not found at a typical retail job. Click here to hear the full story.