Ginger Hoisin Meatballs

10.22.13
Ginger Hoisin Meatballs
ginger hoisin meatballs 2

Servings: 6
Yield: 24 meatballs

Serving Ideas: Serve over coconut rice or skewer and serve appetizer style!

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef, lean
1 3/4 teaspoons sesame oil
1 cup Panko or breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon chinese 5 spice powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
2 eggs
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
optional garnish: toasted sesame seeds, sliced scallions

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, mix together meatball ingredients until well-combined. Shape into balls about 1.5 inches and place on a greased baking sheet or in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Bake for 15- 20 minutes, or until meatballs are golden on the outside and no longer pink on the inside. They should register 160 degrees F with a food thermometer.

3. While the meatballs are baking, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients until blended. ( see next recipe) Once meatballs have finished cooking, you can either dip each meatball individually (using a toothpick) in the sauce as an appetizer, or you can pour the sauce over the meatballs and gently stir them until covered.

4. Serve over coconut rice.

For Sauce, combine

2/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients until blended. Heat gently in a small sauce pan. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Once meatballs have finished cooking, you can pour the sauce over the meatballs and gently stir them until covered, or for an appetizer version, stick wooden skewers into meatball and dip in sauce then sprinkle with sesame seeds!