National Search for the CEO to Lead YR Media

06.19.19

Dear YR Media Community,

I want to share a major update—we are about to launch a national search for a CEO who can lead YR Media in its growth as a one-of-a-kind youth-driven national network of young journalists and artists.

For the past year, I’ve worked closely with our board president, Luc Bellet, on this planned leadership transition for the emerging YR Media. We are committed to strong, engaged leadership throughout this transition and a continuity of vision and momentum. I will continue as President/CCO until the leadership transition is complete and then I will move on from YR, while staying connected as part of the community we have built, cheering on the team forging our next chapter. This is an exciting time here—and it is crucial that we continue to preserve (and strengthen) the independence and power of young people speaking their truths.

We have built this together over the past 25+ years:

A place for young people of all backgrounds to learn media skills together and become leaders.
A place to create, compose, report and investigate together… and to develop YR.Media, a platform that connects young journalists and their communities.

It has been my privilege, as the founder of Youth Radio, to follow the vision and direction of young people who have now led us to YR Media. Together with you, we’ve grown Youth Radio from an empty office space (next to KPFA radio) in Berkeley, to a storefront down the street and then—in 2005—to the forefront of change in Oakland, owning and operating our own youth-driven digital media facility, located at the corner of 17th and Broadway.

As we have grown, our young leaders have kept us far ahead of the curve: because that’s what young leaders do. They lead in technology — and social change. After 18 months of strategic planning and many interviews with young participants, we set a new direction and last October launched YR.Media. The Oakland facility is becoming the headquarters for our national network. With your tremendous support, our content now offers a unique view on news and the arts & culture scenes for 18 to 30-year-olds. We are launching our first national podcast, our first video documentary is in production, our online radio station alldayplay.fm will launch video streaming soon, and our next music releases are in development.

Our new media enterprise is recruiting new leadership that brings expertise at the nexus of digital media, business and audience/community building. We will keep you updated.

In the meantime, we will continue to strengthen and protect what we have built together:

• Award-winning journalism and arts syndicated by key outlet partners including: The New York Times, National Public Radio, the CBS Network, and Pandora
  • In person and online media education for thousands of youth in the Bay Area and across the nation
  • National Endowment for the Arts and National Science Foundation awards recognizing our young artists and developers as national leaders in their fields
  • A growing national network of contributors driving daily content for their peers

Please stay engaged with us, enjoy and share YR.Media.

Ellin O’Leary, President & Chief Content Officer

We have retained Development Resources, inc. to conduct the search for a new CEO. More information and an application portal can be found at driconsulting.com/position/chief-executive-officer-yr-media/. (Applications are due by August 16, 2019).