Are You Caught Up In March Madness?

Stretching from college basketball courts to local sports bars, fans gather to share in the collective thrill of it all, the tournament serving as a bridge to generations where people create memories that endure long after the game’s final buzzer.

03.21.24
Are You Caught Up In March Madness? (Getty Images)

ChicagoIt’s March Madness time, when the basketball court becomes a literal battleground where dreams and rivalry coincide. This cultural phenomenon has and continues to transcend the court, resonating far beyond the three-point line. While teens are well-educated in the adrenaline of the game and all that is March Madness, this annual college tournament holds the weight and ability to impact communities, traditions, marketing tactics, and strategies.

The term March Madness actually has a Chicago connection. According to ncaa.com, “March Madness”  traces back to Illinois’ statewide high-school basketball tournament, which began in 1908. In 1939, an official with the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), Henry V. Porter, penned an article called “March Madness” for the organization’s in-house magazine. The term found its way to the NCAA tournament when CBS broadcaster Brent Musburger (who used to be a sportswriter in Chicago) used it during coverage of the 1982 tournament, and it’s been used ever since.

We all know March Madness has grown significantly since then, both in scale and popularity – becoming an inspiration for a plethora of films, TV shows, and even music. Known for the buzzer-beaters, curation of basketball legends, and the infamous dramatic upsets, the events captivate the spirits of fans from all over, forging communities together. This event significantly impacts the economy, providing brands a golden ticket to alter their strategies to align with the adrenaline and fervor of the month. From themed menus at restaurants and limited-edition merch, March Madness becomes a canvas for creativity. Even non-sports companies find ways to ride the wave.

But March Madness isn’t just about brands using the tournament to their advantage or about the brackets and rivalries; it’s a community-wide experience. Stretching from college basketball courts to local sports bars, fans gather to share in the collective thrill of it all, the tournament serving as a bridge to generations where people create memories that endure long after the game’s final buzzer. Traditions emerge during March Madness, becoming a huge part of our cultural fabric, whether it be through the tailgate or impromptu themed watch parties, the shared passion for the game fosters unity.