D.C. Teen Almost Became Youngest U.S. Track Olympian Ever

Quincy Wilson can still make history and compete in the Olympics in Paris.

06.28.24
D.C. Teen Almost Became Youngest U.S. Track Olympian Ever (Getty Images)

Quincy Wilson, a 16-year-old student from Bullis School near Washington D.C., placed sixth with a time of 44.94 in the 400-meter final at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials on Monday. Hall secured the top spot with a time of 44.17, while Michael Norman (44.41) and Chris Bailey (44.42) also earned spots on the team heading to Paris. NBC News reported on the track athlete’s chances of qualifying for the Olympics.

Although Wilson didn’t make the team as an individual runner and thus couldn’t become the youngest male ever to do so, he still has a chance to be part of the U.S. 4×400 relay team.

Wilson’s performance was remarkable, especially after he set and then broke the world record for under-18 runners, a record that had stood for 42 years. “I’ve never been this happy in my life when it comes to track,” Wilson said after running a 44.59 in the semifinals. “I’ve been working for this moment. That record I broke two days ago, that’s 42 years of nobody being able to break it. I broke it twice in two days. It means a lot to me because it shows the hard work is paying off.”

Just 19 days after finishing his sophomore year of high school, Wilson competed against some of the world’s fastest runners. Vernon Norwood, at 32, is twice Wilson’s age, and Michael Norman, 26, finished fifth in the Tokyo Games.

Norman praised Wilson’s performances as “spectacular.” He said, “A 16-year-old is out here competing like a true competitor. He’s not letting the moment get too big. He’s living in the moment and competing. It’s great to see young talents like him elevate, push us to run faster, and take us out of our comfort zones. He has a bright future as long as he stays grounded and focused.”

Wilson, standing 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing 140 pounds, faced a challenging semifinal. At the final turn, he was in fifth place with significant ground to make up. Wilson said that his race plan went out the window at that point, and he had to dig deep. “Stay calm,” he told himself. “I didn’t get out the way that I wanted to, but like my coach said, the race starts at 300. Coming up from fifth to third means a lot. If you look at me, I’m not as strong, so it’s 100% heart inside.”

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Corona, CA who covers culture and entertainment.