USWNT and U.S. Men’s Olympic Teams Roll Over Their Opponent’s in 4-1 wins

Recaps of both USWNT and U.S. Men Olympic Team soccer games

08.01.24
USWNT and U.S. Men’s Olympic Teams Roll Over Their Opponent’s in 4-1 wins (Getty Images)

U.S. Men’s Olympic Team Beat New Zealand 4-1 as Hope of Qualification Grows                                 

After a completely deflating loss against France, the U.S. Men’s Olympic National Team faced New Zealand needing a win to better their chances of making it out of the group. Being given a penalty and Djordje Mihailovic scoring it in the eighth minute of the game, the U.S. earned control over the game against a lesser opponent. 

The U.S.A.’s dynamic attack and many decent chances led them to a 3-0 lead in the first thirty minutes with goals from Walker Zimmerman and Gianluca Busio. Not long after the start of the second half, Paxton Aaronson, USMNT star Brendan Aaronson’s little brother, kicks the ball straight into the net.

The U.S. thoroughly dominated the rest of the game despite letting New Zealand score in the seventy-eighth minute. Showing a similar promise from the France game, the U.S. finally delivered on it. Fans hope the team can show its talent again against Guinea, where the team must win by at least two goals to guarantee qualification without relying on other teams’ results. 

USWNT Makes Dangerous Statement in 4-1 Win Against Germany  

When women’s soccer heavyweights like the USWNT and Germany compete, fans know they are in for an exciting ride. The game began toe-to-toe with the main battle being in the midfield as the ball was kicked from one side to the next. It wasn’t too long until both teams scored; Sophia Smith for the U.S. and Giulia Gwinn for Germany.

However, as soon as Mallary Swanson scored the second goal for the U.S. in the twenty-sixth minute, the game changed as the U.S. became the dominant team. The USWNT embodied Emma Hayes’s dynamic and offensive style to the T, creating an enormously dangerous team that U.S. fans haven’t seen in a while.

Before the end of the first half, Sophia Smith bagged another goal, making it the fifth goal from a Coloradan out of the six goals scored so far. The second half was just as electric as the first, as Germany desperately worked to make another goal. Nearing the end of the game, newly subbed Lynn Williams managed to score the game’s last goal. 

Ayah Al-Masyabi, (she/her) is from Aurora, Colorado, and is an artist, writer and journalist who covers culture and sports. Follow her on Instagram @ayahalmart or YouTube @AyahSoccer.